[MUD-Dev] Circumstances & Situations

Sat Jan 10 18:26:51 CET 1998

JC Lawrence <claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:
>On Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:10:23 PST8PDT Ola wrote:
>> JC Lawrence <claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:
>> Hypothesis:
>
>>> Graphics can't do that as it either offers the detail (likely in a
>>> form which doesn't have emotive accessability or immediacy for the
>>> viewer), or it offers no detail and thereby shows the viewer that
>>> there is no detail there (after all, it can't be seen).
>
>> Falsification:
>
>> Make the world dark.
>
>No, this does not change the ability to genericly control the level of
>detail, it merely moves the choice of perception of detail to the
>player (he chooses what he is proximate to, and thus what detail he
>sees).

Depends on how you set up the lighting, viewpoint etc and of course,
design.  They do it in movies...  Anyway, look at bsx, pictures for
atmosphere, text for details.

Another approach, abstract graphics. One strength with graphics is
that forming of concepts is up to the user.  Text is, in some sense,
more biased.  I want users to reflect and form concepts.

>  Text has the ability to vary the detail level dynamically
>within a single scene, and thus using that flow of concentration to
>guide and control the user's attention focus -- all without requiring
>any actual behaviour of the reader.  The visual world occassionally
>attempts that (consider some of the better visual flow analysies of
>the great masters (Picasso, Rueben, and Turner are great cases in
>point)), but cannot guarantee the pattern of visual flow which text
>can due to its linear nature.

Animation and sound is linear in time, just like text.

Ola.