[MUD-Dev] Re: what's fun?

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Jul 1 10:11:19 CEST 1998

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998 06:19:23 -0400
Richard Bartle<76703.3042 at compuserve.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:21:52 -0700 J C Lawrence
> <claw at under.engr.sgi.com> Wrote:

>> Mike Sellers<mike at bignetwork.com> wrote:

>>> Does it all come back to Bartle's suits?

>> Nahh, that merely attempts to classify goals.

> Excuse me? Less of the "merely", please...

At the level of the discussion, that of defining "what is fun", my
comment would seem accurate.

> That paper attempts to get MUD designers (among others) to think
> about player dynamics rather than going in blindly. Furthermore, it
> proffers advice as to how to adjust these dynamics. You may disagree
> with any or all of it, but it doesn't "merely" attempt to classify
> goals.

Yes, your paper does do more than merely classify goals, however those
extra values don't seem pertinent to an attempt to define "fun" on a
MUD level.  They are pertinent as you say to building a "fun" game,
just not to defining "fun" itself.

Its a question of focus.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net