[MUD-Dev] Back to the Future (was Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun)

Mike Sellers mike at bignetwork.com
Wed Jul 1 15:54:58 CEST 1998

At 03:20 PM 7/1/98 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
>One could have a very fun time determining exactly how UOL reached its
>touchstone value in this list.  While I'll freely admit I had more
>than a hand in it, the depth of penetration of UOL as a reference
>point in MUD-Dev is astounding.

Actually, that brings to mind a question I've been meaning to ask for a
bit: what do you all think comes *after* UOL?  It's lifespan isn't infinite
(I saw the UOL box on the bargain shelf at the local EB, I believe), and
yet none of the other potential contenders has emerged.  Is Everquest or
Asheron's Call the heir apparent?  What about dark horses like The Rubies
of Eventide, Azaria, or any of the other smaller operations (that may or
may not ever actually see the light of day)?  M59 has stabilized with a
small population but strangely enough a profitable (current terms, don't
know about ROI for 3DO) setup.  I don't know about UOL, but I'd bet drinks
at next CGDC that they're going to be _barely_ profitable if that. =20

Are commercial, graphical muds and mud-like games here to stay, or are they
just an interesting experiment?

--

Mike Sellers=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Chief Creative Officer=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 The=
 Big Network

             =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Fun=A0=A0 Is=A0=A0 Good =20