[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

Koster Koster
Thu Jul 2 14:37:18 CEST 1998

What about "keeping it safe"?

>  And I'm willing to
> argue  that the same is true in games like uol  that do not attempt to
> create a safe environment.  However this is indicative on your view on
> violence in games (a view that is shared by many current players).

I do want to make it clear that I am not a particularly huge fan of it
as a player. As a player, I am a hardcore roleplayer who doesn't usually
fight even NPCs and monsters--I spend most all my time interacting with
other players in roleplay. I merely feel that we can't ignore the factor
violence is. :(

>  Those who do not enjoy the
> anarchistic principles of current muds  could accept the limitation of
> their personal freedom  to prevent such events/crimes from occuring in
> the first place. I know I would not mind.

Many people probably do not mind; certainly that is the classic
trade-off: less freedoms for greater security. There is also the classic
drawback: the people who take your freedoms and provide your security
can then do quite a lot to you and you have surrendered enough freedom
that you can't do anything about it. Of course, in a virtual context
this problem is much less of an issue than in the real world.

> > To get back to what you said, I think that a pure roleplay game of
> large
> > size will have to be a Stalinist setup, yes. And I don't LIKE it.
> Then
> > again, I think that MANY muds currently use such a restrictive
> setup.
>
> Restrictive does not make it stalinist. Nor fascist. The game prevents
> certain actions that would,  if unchecked one way or the other, become
> harmfull to the majority of the players. Player's freedom is not taken
> away. Only certain actions that would otherwise be prevented in diffe-
> rent ways (e.g. by player vigilante activities).

I think Mike S. explained pretty well what I meant here...

> This is partly a problem because of the way power works in muds. The
> only
> power there is -is- that of the sword.

Not at all! As Dr Cat rightly points out, solutions such as ostracism
are very powerful. Of course, given the fluidity of identity, ostracism
is hard to implement. :(

-Raph