[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

S. Patrick Gallaty choke at sirius.com
Tue Jul 7 13:18:52 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Koster, Raph <rkoster at origin.ea.com>
To: 'mud-dev at kanga.nu' <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Tuesday, 07 July, 1998 12:58
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

>> One thing I don't understand about the UO system - it's very
>> forgiving.
>> A career thief will be 'blue' to people in general even if they steal
>> all
>> the time...
>>
>As I said above, we don't really count thieving as being as severe.
>Thieving's penalty is that you can get killed anytime by anyone, and not
>get to report it, because you are a crook. This means you die a lot.
>
>-Raph

Upes... my bad.
That was supposed to be edited out.

The system I described insured that the items stayed rare in
clever ways...
One of the items that had to be sacrificed was a figurine of
a tiger which when used would turn into a tiger that would
fight for you.
It would eventually die, and thus be gone.

For UO one could have say.. an ivory horse? :)  People would
go bananas over a summonable horse.  That would be
something they would be loathe to lose.  Make it die if they
die and you have a winner.

Anyhow not to say that this is the solution just trying to illustrate
"How they kept it rare."

And I apologize for my ambiguity.  When I said 'Ideal' solution
I meant 'Ideal for my system' :).