[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

S. Patrick Gallaty choke at sirius.com
Tue Jul 7 22:54:51 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon A. Lambert <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Tuesday, 07 July, 1998 21:59
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

[ ]

> > I think we have to share the blame. For that matter, I don't consider it
> > "blame" as such as a plain old recognition of facts. I do not think the
> > average Internet gamer who plays a mud is ready for self-governance. I
> > also do not think the average real world citizen is fully engaged with
> > their local community or participates in THEIR governance either. Did
> > you vote in your last local election? I didn't, and thus I am pointing a
> > finger at myself as well.  I am not saying that I have all the answers.

> How do you both define self-governance on muds?
> The absence of administration interference?  Or something else?

I think he means governance in the classic sense -
Not 'government' so much as 'governance' which implies that the system
is designed to throttle undesirable behaviour and events through
affordances rather than intervention.

Intervention is not a scalable solution.

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.