[MUD-Dev] Re: Back to the Future (was Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun)

S. Patrick Gallaty choke at sirius.com
Wed Jul 8 19:16:19 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: J C Lawrence <claw at under.engr.sgi.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Wednesday, 08 July, 1998 18:46
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: Back to the Future (was Re: WIRED: Kilers have more
fun)

>On Wed, 01 Jul 1998 15:54:58 -0700
>Mike Sellers<mike at bignetwork.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually, that brings to mind a question I've been meaning to ask
>> for a bit: what do you all think comes *after* UOL?  It's lifespan
>> isn't infinite (I saw the UOL box on the bargain shelf at the local
>> EB, I believe), and yet none of the other potential contenders has
>> emerged.  Is Everquest or Asheron's Call the heir apparent?  What
>> about dark horses like The Rubies of Eventide, Azaria, or any of the
>> other smaller operations (that may or may not ever actually see the
>> light of day)?

The game engine behind UO (call it a parser) isn't set in stone.
The client stuff isn't dated by any means.
Origin can make a very different game leveraging off of the technology
if they want to...

What's the next leap in technology?
Well, I predict that a real 3d world with little tiny texture mapped
characters
a la total annihilation with the same isometric projection as UO...
where you can zoom in and out and rotate (and change angle)

Or is that not what you wanted to ask?