[MUD-Dev] My "mud" server, A.T.O.M. and the coming design notes

Mike L Kesl mlkesl at cpinternet.com
Thu Jul 9 23:25:42 CEST 1998

Hi all, I am relatively new to the list and generally have just been
absorbing the messages and archives relevant to my mud's design. If you do
not already know, I am developing a mud written in java, with perhaps
jPython as the scripting language or maybe just java itself. I am
developing it using what Object Oriented principles I know to the best of
my ability. I am developing it from scratch and think it will be a hobby
of mine for many years to come. I have developed a heavily mud rom mud
which is available to the public and I have played many diku muds. This
will probably reflect the type of mud I develop, although most muds I
played were not the normal diku derivative and my reason for wanting to
start from scratch stem from this fact. I am aiming for a heavily
simulated real world, roleplaying, smart npc's, pkilling (because it's
real) and stuff like that. I aim to have the world totally separate from
the server code and on the same hand the code is going to be genre-less
(by supporting abstract object types simulating stuff from both future
type genre's and fantasy type genre's, sometimes as the same object type).
I also plan to have an advanced and fun way for people to build the world,
and script the objects.

I am telling those of you who are interested because I have decided to
post some of my design notes to the list for suggestions and comments. I
am the only person currently working on the project, and would greatly
appreciate any comments I can get on my notes. I understand this is
probably not normal, but I think is the only way I can contribute and get
help at the same time using this list. If you have a problem with me
posting or spamming or wasting your time or whatever, please just ignore
the mail. If everyone on the list hates it then I will discontinue the
posts. I am hoping, however, just for some comments and suggestions from
those of you who are willing to give them, be they constructive or
destructive. Thanks for reading...

Mike L Kesl