[MUD-Dev] Re: DBMS in MU*'s

Sun Jul 19 14:08:31 CEST 1998

[Adam J. Thornton:]

 >The object class an object belongs to implicity defines the verbs for which
 >that object can be the object of the preposition "with."  That is, knives
 >can cut and pry.  Keys can unlock.  And so on.

A subject that got discussed quite a bit last year or early this year
was related to this. As users, most(?) of us felt it was bad to get a
wierd error message about an obvious verb, just because that verb wasn't
applicable to the object in question. So, you may want to consider making
all verbs valid with all objects, but have them refuse to operate on
inappropriate objects. If you are going fully OO, you could do that by
having all verbs on some base "object", which everything else inherits
from, overriding the verb actions where appropriate.

I *think* we've also discussed single versus multiple inheritance for
MUD objects, but don't recall the conclusions. I use single inheritance,
and it works so far, although my world isn't very sophisticated.

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA