[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

Mike Sellers mike at bignetwork.com
Fri Jul 24 14:37:11 CEST 1998

At 09:40 AM 7/24/98 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
>  As some of the currently petitioning-for-posting-authority can
>attest I vet who gets let in fairly closely.  An obstacle course.  I
>confidently predict that this pre-selection of the membership has far
>more effect on the character and culture of this list than any of us,
>encluding myself, are aware of.

I reluctantly have to agree.  This goes to what Raph has been saying about
strong-RP environments being heavily controlled in terms of who gets access
and/or what they are allowed to do once they have access.  Of the two I'd
prefer strong controls on the first of these, though it's neither
commercially viable nor philosophically satisfying. =20

Hmm.  In these terms maybe Disney has it right again: the "game" is that
the heavy RPers walk amongst the OOCers, having to keep the world running
and staying in character -- the online version of playing Mickey in a theme
park surrounded by zillions of sweating tourists.  You'd bet you'd want to
select those RPers carefully!  But it could be fun if you framed it
correctly...

--

Mike Sellers=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Chief Creative Officer=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 The=
 Big Network

             =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Fun=A0=A0 Is=A0=A0 Good =20