[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Jul 27 02:30:20 CEST 1998

On 11:16 PM 7/26/98 -0500, I personally witnessed Damion Schubert jumping
up to say:

>Once again, I'll play devil's advocate to the entire mailing list. =)  In
>my experience, mud *designers* (i.e. freaks like us) care about these
>things.  Mud *players*, on the other hand, are relatively quick to accept
>the physics of the world around them.

Who are you and where did you get the backup tapes of my head? ;)

>in Meridian, I always was ashamed that player weapon
>repair was only done magically, with a 'mend' spell.
>Blacksmithing just seemed to keep slipping off the schedule.
>The players didn't care.

Players NEVER care. We keep talking about all these things, all this stuff,
that NO ONE CARES ABOUT. Remember the Bard's Tale series? I think there
were FOUR monster pictures in the whole game. The name of the monster was
different, but look... same picture, same four-frame looping animation. And
guess what? We didn't care! We could give a flying leap at a rolling donut!
The important thing was that you had cool spells, cool character classes,
and a cool quest!

What happened to that mindset, anyway? Did you happen to pick that up off
those tapes, too?