[MUD-Dev] Re: Ansii color, needing some specs and or pointers.

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Jul 27 21:55:27 CEST 1998

On 09:18 PM 7/27/98 -0700, I personally witnessed Ben Greear jumping up to
say:

>The players keep yelping at me to provide some ansi color,

Addendum: In the days when no one used Windows terminals, sending ESC[6n to
the client retrieved a cursor position report. I don't know how many people
code this in modern clients, but it's pretty much the only ANSI autodetect
process available, and most Unix and DOS clients still support it. If you
send this, you should receive a response almost immediately with the cursor
position information; ignore it, just verify that you get ESC[##;##<CR> and
you can rest assured the client supports ANSI... otherwise, make sure you
DON'T send ANSI color codes until the player logs in. Non-ANSI people would
get lots of scary garbage. :)