[MUD-Dev] Re: Fun vs Realism [ Was: OT: Sid Meier ]

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Tue Jul 28 11:45:40 CEST 1998

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Damion Schubert wrote:
> Having worked with Jon van Canegham, I can tell you that this is
> part of his design philosophy.  Sure, he could improve the AI, but to
> be honest, it's a lot more satisfying to kill a horde than finally slay a
> solitary troll.  He's a big believer of 'Nothing (including realism)
> should get in the way of the fun.'  Sound familiar?  I think he believes
> that everyone, deep down, wants to be a powergamer- and that's
> really the most rewarding part of the CRPG experience.

Again - you can't tell me what's fun.  I know what's fun, and killing tons
of things is not it.  I find it *much* more satisfying to overcome a
single, worthy opponent than many weak, stupid ones.  I realize, of
course, that not everyone feels this way - walk into an arcade and you'll
get healthy dose of both.  There's old-style vertical scrollers which
involve your single, tiny ship obliterating wave after wave of stupid,
slow, ill-armored enemy drones; and as well there are the new-style
fighting games where you only fight one opponent at a time, and that
opponent is usually a human with just as many tricks up their sleeve as
you.

Adam