[MUD-Dev] Re: Affordances and social method (Was: Re: Wire d Magazine...)

S. Patrick Gallaty choke at sirius.com
Wed Jul 29 17:10:38 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: J C Lawrence <claw at under.engr.sgi.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 4:53 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: Affordances and social method (Was: Re: Wire d
Magazine...)

|On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:28:48 -0500
|cat <cat at bga.com> wrote:
|
|> [JCL:]

< My comment was >
|>> Dr. Cat does the extreme.

<Dr. Cat's response>

|> I think this perspective may be fairly typical of the people on
|> mud-dev.  It's why I feel like a kangaroo at the annual emu and
|> ostrich convention.  There's nothing wrong with being an emu or an
|> ostrich, but kangaroos don't necessarily have enough in common with
|> them to have much to talk about.
|
|> And I mean, really, you have to be really, really into your
|> ostrichness to think "oh, being featherless is some kinda extreme
|> unusual thing".

To clarify, the question that I was responding to was
"Doesn't anyone provide a 'safer' environment?" to wit I responded
that Dr. Cat does the extreme of 'safer' meaning completely
non-competitive.  I don't use the term 'violent' because the basis
of these games is not violence it is competition.

I think Dr. Cat knows better than to think that I personally am stuck in any
sort of ostrich-hood.  I do think that his point about this list being
primarily composed of competitive game designers is completely
correct, but that doesn't make him unwelcomed I would hope.