[MUD-Dev] Re: Ansii color, needing some specs and or pointers.

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Wed Jul 29 23:35:50 CEST 1998

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> On 12:05 AM 7/29/98 +0000, I personally witnessed Scatter jumping up to say:
> >
> >I guess their implementation of telnet protocol is
> >too minimal.
>
> I've harped about this several times to client authors. It seems that it is
> entirely possible for a telnet session to be run without ever sending or
> receiving a single IAC character, on both ends -- and in fact, my own
> chosen client (MUSHClient) used to hang completely on receipt of an IAC.
> While it doesn't 'support' telnet sequences, at least now it recognises
> them and responds appropriately according to the RFC (by refusing to do
> anything).

Be careful with locale support. Some of them, notably russian/ukrainian
(cyrillic in general), use the escape character as A CHARACTER, so you
have to escape it too - it's just not obvious for those who speak
English :-)

> As far as I'm concerned, a telnet client should at LEAST support the
> fundamental RFC by understanding IAC CAN/CAN'T WILL/WON'T negotiation.

An idea for you (that's how I implemented it): telnet protocol handler
is a container, and options are the objects, so as you add the option to
the container, it automatically CAN/WILL it (depending on the context),
and if you remove it, it CAN'T/WON'T (side question: are all telnet
clients/servers safe to the attempt to renegotiate the options not at
the very start of the session, but somewhere in between? Guess most of
them, because otherwise it would be a pain in the neck to resize the
Xterminal...)

That's if I remember my implementation right :-)

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>