[MUD-Dev] Re: Nested coorindate space model

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Wed Jun 3 11:07:35 CEST 1998

On Sat, 30 May 1998 16:37:37 +0100 (BST)
Ling <K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 May 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> On Thu, 21 May 1998 18:03:03 +0100 (BST) Ling
>> <K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

>> It can certainly do things like the Blue Grass and Mobius Row,
>> which are not entirely alien to your above concept.  Both are in
>> essence directionally sensitive mazes and (in this system) reliant
>> on careful placement of directionally sensitive invisible teleports
>> to arrange the directional and motion order sensitivity.

> I was thinking of something like a conformal transform which is
> pretty much what you're intending:

>   Domain is perceived in the w plane.

>   w is defined by: w = u + v where: u = x^2*y^2 v = 2xy

>   Substitute other formulae for u and v as you see fit.  Just avoid
>   1/xy or anything else that would form a pole.

> Players walk around in x, y as usual but when they do a look, they
> see the w plane.  Alternative, players looking into the domain
> perceive the w-plane.  [You see Bubba walking backwards into a
> building...]

Ahh!  Quite.  This is actually a far more charming model for the BGP.
However, no, I don't see a direct way of representing that in my
domain system, mostly I've deliberately keyed the system to Myst-style
motion: clink where you want to go.

> Cool, deadly confusing.  When I visit Murkle, I shall build myself a
> cubby hole and hide.

I suspect I'm going to do the same.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net