[MUD-Dev] Re: In game bulletin boards vs. Web based.

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jun 11 00:16:11 CEST 1998

As an aside, I appear to be receiving each email twice from mud-dev.

Holly Sommer wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Adam Wiggins wrote:
>
> > remember that although all of us here might be playing
> > from superduper hi-res workstations where we can open telnet and a web
> > browser at the same time, many (most?) mudders play from those
> > amber VT-100 terminals at their school.
>
> You're kidding, right? This might have been true 5 years ago, but you'd
> be hard-pressed to even find a dummy terminal in a garage sale anymore.
> Schools are providing PCs in some cases, and the machines in labs are
> Pentiums, for the most part. The last time I even SAW a VT-100 being used
> in a classroom was in 1991. MUDders are a bit more modern than that, overall.

I was at university until 1996.  When I left they had one pentium room, one
xterm room, two dumb terminal rooms (the only places we were allowed to mud
from) and a large number of 386/486s.  The University was probably below
average in such equipment (the comp/sci/maths department was quite small
with its own site), but I know of far worse places.

I would say the typical mudder at University these days plays from within a
window on a 486 using some form of client.

KaVir.