[MUD-Dev] Re: Databases: was Re: skill system

Mike Sellers mike at bignetwork.com
Thu Jun 11 13:28:12 CEST 1998

At 02:22 PM 6/11/98 -0500, jacob langthorn wrote:
>	Has any one tried using Orical or SQL to manage the data base
>for the mud? If so what sorta luck did you have?

My impression is that --for some really unaccountable reason-- mud
developers have pretty much ignored the benefit of using existing databases
and their tools.  A lot of the hard problems in mudding (e.g. dragon's
dinner) have been resolved a long time ago in the button-down db world.
Any good DB is going to be worthwhile for anything larger than the smallest
muds.  Oracle is overkill unless you're talking about thousands of
concurrent players.  An SQL-accessible DB might well be useful, but at the
very least an external, free-standing, well-formed database is going to
help a lot with changing informational needs over time. =20

--

Mike Sellers=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Chief Creative Officer=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 The=
 Big Network

             =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Fun=A0=A0 Is=A0=A0 Good =20