[MUD-Dev] Re: Technical C/C++ coding question

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Tue Jun 16 19:55:09 CEST 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Jon Leonard wrote:

> > I was assuming Ben was looking for just a quick and easy way and that he'd
> > add his own error checking.
>
> Quite possibly.  But If I'd included a debugging feature like this in my MUD,
> I'd leave it in production code.  Doesn't hurt much, and you never know
> when you'll need it, and something might break if you take it out (due to
> typos, etc).

I am using it to find memory problems before I segv in later code.
Basically, I implemented a protected list which monitors access to itself.

If an assert fails, then I want to dump core right there so I can more
easily debug the situation.  First time I ran it, I prompty brought my
machine to it's knees with about 50 forked processes :)

Changed it to just core the current process, I'm debugging anyway.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html