[MUD-Dev] Re: Nested Coordinate spaces.

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Fri Jun 19 10:18:47 CEST 1998

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:11:07 -0400
Elis Pomales<pomales at caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> Hi, I would like to know what data structures do you guys use in
> your implementation of a nested coordinate system?

I'm currently using a variation on an R*-Tree.

> Are you using R*Trees or a similar structure?

Why, yes!

> Has anyone played with R*Trees at all? R*Trees sound very
> interesting but I don't want to spend time trying to code one to
> then find out that they are really slow or completely inappropriate.
> R*Trees are traditionally used to model spatial data for maps and
> other such things. A mud does contain spatial data :).

If you look back in the archives there has bee some discussion of
R*-Trees and various other structural forms.  You may also like to
look for the neighborhood thread which proposed a significantly
different approach to pure geometry.

> BTW: I am writing a text based mud but am planning to go with a
> roomless approach. Building will be done in graphics (2D for
> now). Anyone ever attempt this as well?

Yup, except that I'm going 3D all the way.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com