[MUD-Dev] Re: Nested Coordinate spaces.

Elis Pomales pomales at caip.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 23 11:14:30 CEST 1998

Nathan F Yospe wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
>
> :On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:11:07 -0400
> :Elis Pomales<pomales at caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
> I must have missed this one...
>
> :> Hi, I would like to know what data structures do you guys use in
> :> your implementation of a nested coordinate system?
>
> :I'm currently using a variation on an R*-Tree.
>
> I'm using localized containment and association models. No global knowledge
> of locations, aside from propogation up and down the containment structure.
> Which is good, because I also use lazy allocation.

I've been thinking of using a b-trees with morton coded keys for my objects
(one tree per "area") and a quad tree (or several) for area information (again
per "area"). Though the biggest problem I currently see, for this and for the
R*-Tree is in how you store the actual players? I mean players move around,
thus requiring a delete and an insert... Sooo is this ideal? Am I thinking
along the wrong track? I like R*Trees but have yet to find enough info on em
(am trying to get a good book and spatial representations.)

Gonna go look into that neighborhood thread!

<clip>

*Wave*
Elis Pomales