[MUD-Dev] Re: Analysis and specification - the dirty words of mud development?

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Tue Jun 23 16:54:45 CEST 1998

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:03:11 +0200 (MET DST)
Niklas Elmqvist<d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:

> Another must-buy for O-O design zealots is "Design Patterns :
> Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" written by Gamma,
> Vlissides, Johnson and Helm (incidentially, these four are called
> Gang of Four or GoF for short).

An absolute must-have.  Utterly wonderful, and amazingly humbling.
Don't expect to understand it on the first reading.  The authors
didn't claim to understand it as they wrote it (see the preface).

> This is a comprehensive catalog of extremely useful design
> techniques (or "patterns" as the authors call them) for common
> problems when writing O-O software.

I find that just browsing the book when I'm stuck trying to think of a
useful algorithmic approach to a problem will alsmost always ping a
good idea loose.

Note:  There is also a gang-of-four mailing list, as well as a
siemens-patterns mailing list.  Iv'e been on both for quite a while
now (as a lurker).  They're meaty and signal filled.  I hope to have
archives of both lists up on Kanga.Nu RSN.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com