[MUD-Dev] Re: Analysis and specification - the dirty words of mud development?

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Tue Jun 23 17:26:02 CEST 1998

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
> Niklas Elmqvist<d97elm at dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:
> > Another must-buy for O-O design zealots is "Design Patterns :
> > Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" written by Gamma,
> > Vlissides, Johnson and Helm (incidentially, these four are called
> > Gang of Four or GoF for short).
>
> An absolute must-have.  Utterly wonderful, and amazingly humbling.
> Don't expect to understand it on the first reading.  The authors
> didn't claim to understand it as they wrote it (see the preface).

I read this about a year ago on the recommend of a friend.  The thing I
found the most interesting about it was that much (maybe even most) of the
stuff that was in there was things I had come up with on my own, just not
nearly so elegantly, and I had never thought of them as being seperate
"paterns", just things I thought up to solve a specific problem.  So
though someone who has been doing OO programming for a while will probably
not learn anything completely new, it does wonders to solidify and clarify
the concepts that you've probably already been using for a while, not to
mention give you some good names by which to call them.

Adam