[MUD-Dev] Re: darkness/visibility

Wed Jun 24 21:13:08 CEST 1998

[Travis S. Casey:]

 >That's one problem.  However, there is another, more subtle reason to "get
 >more complex" -- it helps to separate player knowledge from character
 >knowledge.
 >
 >The *player* may know that there's an object in that dark room, from
 >previous play with another character.  However, the *character* may not
 >know that, never having been in that room before.  In that case, you may
 >not wish to allow the player to simply go ahead and have the character do
 >something with that object.

I recall some discussions on this before, but don't recall any
conclusions. I'll bow out here by saying I don't find trying to separate
the character's knowledge from the player's knowledge worth the vast
effort, and the cooperation needed from the player. Personal opinion
only, of course - I'm not heavily into roleplay.

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA