Transport layer (UDP vs TCP)

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Mon Mar 16 23:08:36 CET 1998

I'm pondering a multi level transport stream.  The important stuff
would go over tcp/ip, and the client-side-cache updates would run
over UDP.

The question is, what is the packet size (max) that UDP can handle?

The recv and send man pages offer no help, and neither do
any of my books.  I plan on using Java, how does this affect things?

My java books and java-docs are do not mention packet size at all.

Btw, for anyone thinking about java, take a look at the
Hotspot compiler Sun is coming out with.  Claims as fast as c++ (OO style)
with pontential to rival compiled c.  Sounds far fetched.

(Do a search on java and hotspot..don't have the URL on me.)

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html