[MUD-Dev] SfD: Clientside Caching

Wed Mar 18 18:39:53 CET 1998

[Nathan Yospe:]

:And your point? _I_ want to be able to use this thing myself, you know, and
:it isn't that hard to make a UI change in Java, which is all that is being
:done here. Think of it like this: how hard is it to write the text output
:UI? How hard to write the GUI UI? OK, now, which one is more effective for
:a quicky test case? I'm not saying I'm going to use the remote hosted dumb
:terminal model much, but... come on, how many of you prefer lynx to Netscape
:when just doing a quick check of deja-news? How many prefer vi to Word when
:just making a quick edit to a source file? And if I'm going to write it for
:myself, why not make it available for others who use telnet access accounts
:regularly?

Definitely. This preference will likely vary a lot on the background of
the admin/programmer, however. My background is UNIX/mainframe, so CLI/shell
is my normal mode. So, having a simple text-only client that simply reads
and writes stdin/stdout is a must. Someone from a Mac or Windows background
would possibly prefer a custom client for nearly everything. Even being
able to use I/O redirection and pipes with a client can be useful.

[Yes, I'm back - my ISP finally got things going again.]

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA