(fwd) Functional Security

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Mar 19 16:15:56 CET 1998

Worth thinking about:

From: "Scott G. Stewart" <sstewart at or.cadix.com>
Newsgroups: rec.games.mud.lp
Subject: Functional Security
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:23:46 -0800

The few LPC security schemes I have looked at seem to emphasize file
system security (the ability to read or write a file).  Is functional
security (the ability to invoke a function in an object) downplayed, or
have I missed something?

When I looked at the Lima code, I saw that the monster "die()" function
had no security....  Does this mean that a "hostile" wizard could create
an object which calls that function on any given target?

I can imagine a Mud where wizards have creation capability,  but compete
against each other, and are therefore bound by certain rules.  In such a
situation, you would not want one wizard to call the functions in
another's object.

-- Scott

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net