[MUD-Dev] Transport layer (UDP vs TCP)

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Thu Mar 19 21:27:07 CET 1998

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> On 18 Mar 98 at 17:01, Ben Greear wrote:
> >
> > Well, I plan on having a tcp as well as a udp connection running
> > simultaneously, so if one won't work, I can just shift the traffic to
> > the other.  Actually, could shift UDP to TCP, not going to try to
> > go the other way.
>
> How do you know if it's not working?

Updates should be comming (via UDP) almost constantly.  If the client
hasn't heard from the server in a while..a tcp packet will be sent
back to the server telling it to get it's act together.  The server
will react as it chooses, but will most likely opt to send more stuff
over the tcp.

Ben

> --
> --/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
> --/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--
> --/*\   "Everything that deceives may be said to enchant" - Plato   /*\--

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html