[MUD-Dev] Net protocols for MUDing (was: Moore's Law sucks)

Fri Mar 20 08:11:51 CET 1998

[Chris L:]

:I want a "best effort" representation from the client which sacrifices
:verisimiltude and other forms of fidelity for the sake of performance
:when resources get low, be the CPU, bandwidth, whatever.

My main feeling on this whole issue is to just ignore it, and let the
network people solve it for us.

However, if you want to solve this problem, it seems to me that you need
to be able to attach relative priorities to packets. That suggests writing
a new protocol that rides on top of IP (or on top of UDP), which allows
that extension. Then, the protocol code would put more effort and bandwidth
into getting high priority packets through than it does for low ones.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA