Character development [was Re: ]

Matt Chatterley matt at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Fri Mar 20 08:30:09 CET 1998

[Added a subject line, I think it got munched somewhere along the line]

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:16:49 GMT  Richard Woolcock
> <KaVir at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> > Ling wrote:
> >> On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Justin McKinnerney wrote:
>
> > Character development is an important aspect of muds (for example,
> > would you play a mud where your character never saved?).
>
> Err, yes.  Tron is a perfect example, if debateable as being a MUD.

Fascinating question - "If you remove 'character development' over the
long term, can you still have a successfu game?"

Perhaps not so interesting after brief thought - yes, you can. One of the
muds I used to play (and which I liked very much) was a PK-only mud in a
vaguely futuristic setting which focussed on high violence, high damage,
and short-term development (pick up better weapons, gain a few hps, etc),
and also on very short lives.

Huge fun.

--
Regards,