[MUD-Dev] Describe Concept

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Fri Mar 20 10:52:02 CET 1998

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:53:29 PST8PDT
Jon A Lambert<Jon.A.Lambert at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On 1 Mar 98 at 14:13, Stephen Zepp wrote:

>> I'm thinking that each way of observing an object ( scan, look,
>> study ) gives different chances of penetrating disguises, and
>> noting smaller details.  One major problem so far that I see is
>> that once you know that Sting has three emeralds and a ruby hidden
>> in the hilt, you should always be able to see them, and if someone
>> points them out to you, you should be able to see them even if your
>> perception sucks ( well, not _always_, but you get the idea).

> Should perception be based solely on the object being perceived?  I
> think a great deal of perception code/responsibilty(?) belongs to
> the perceiver.

> Perhaps the perceiver sends a message to the object:

> Me--> Sting.look("and BTW I'm a drunken, one-eyed, deaf, heroin
> addict, with a fetish for bright colors and ladies clothing")

> Object--> Me.Sting("There are a few valuable and beautiful jewels
> here glued to a metal object.  You'll be partying tonight!")

> Or not...

That is almost exactly what I do for all senses:

  viewer -> object:    May I sense you?
  object               Do I want him to sense me? Yes/no.

Of course kick back if no.

  object -> container: Would you affect a sense report from me to
                       viewer?
  container -> other objects in container: Would you affect a sense
                                           report from object to
                                           viewer?
  other objects -> container: yes/no/how
  container -> object: yes/no/how

This is of course recursive for multiple levels of containment.  As I
also have multiple parallel forms of containment, this also recurses
down those lines.

  object -> viewer:    How do you sense XXX?

XXX derived from object state and interference from containers.

  viewer -> object:    I would get YYY.
  object -> viewer:    you sense ZZZ.

ZZZ is XXX modified by YYY.

  viewer -> player:    There is a sword under the rug by the table.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com