[MUD-Dev] Describe Concept

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 22 19:09:32 CET 1998

On 20 Mar 98 at 10:58, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:53:29 PST8PDT
> Jon A Lambert<Jon.A.Lambert at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > Should perception be based solely on the object being perceived?  I
> > think a great deal of perception code/responsibilty(?) belongs to
> > the perceiver.
>
> > Perhaps the perceiver sends a message to the object:
>
> > Me--> Sting.look("and BTW I'm a drunken, one-eyed, deaf, heroin
> > addict, with a fetish for bright colors and ladies clothing")
>
> > Object--> Me.Sting("There are a few valuable and beautiful jewels
              ^^^^^^^
              Dunno what I was thinking here!  It makes little sense.

> > here glued to a metal object.  You'll be partying tonight!")
>
> > Or not...
>
> That is almost exactly what I do for all senses:
>
>   viewer -> object:    May I sense you?
>   object               Do I want him to sense me? Yes/no.
>
> Of course kick back if no.
>
>   object -> container: Would you affect a sense report from me to
>                        viewer?
>   container -> other objects in container: Would you affect a sense
>                                            report from object to
>                                            viewer?
>   other objects -> container: yes/no/how
>   container -> object: yes/no/how
>
> This is of course recursive for multiple levels of containment.  As I
> also have multiple parallel forms of containment, this also recurses
> down those lines.

Yes the multiple-parallel aspect is interesting.  What about
combining this with more abstract and temporary containment
mechanisms.  For instance, using the Neighborhood as an assembly and
brokering point for sensory information.  :)

Viewer -> Neighborhood "May I "generally" sense this place"
Neighborhood -> "Sure hang on" or "Get lost chump you're deaf, dumb
and blind.  Go play pinball or something"

If OK

Neighborhood -> Buildings, Terrain, Crowd "Would you like to expose
yourself to the viewer"

Crowd -> membership "Hey anybody does this veiwer sense you"

Member1 -> Crowd "I am just a nameless face"
Member2 -> Crowd "ditto"
Member3 -> Crowd "You bet HE does, I'm a long-legged, buxom red head"

Crowd -> Neighborhood "OK here's the dope, the viewers eyes are drawn
to a voluptuous..."
Terrain -> Neighborhood "This is a street in the city"
Buildings -> Neighborhood "Sure there's an apothecary here, a
tavern with a sign..."

Neighborhood -> Veiwer "OK terrain is blah, buildings blah blah ,
there is crowd that is blah blah blah"

For a more specific request:

Viewer -> Neighborhood "Hey about this redhead dame with the
fantastic gams"

Neighborhood -> Crowd "Hey veiwer is ogling some redhead dame; you
know anything about her?"

Crowd -> Neighborhood "No can do, not here. (She split the scene
with a this hunk of a dwarf)"

Neighborhood -> Veiwer "Sorry chump you lost sight of her in the
crowd, you keep dreaming"

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--