[MUD-Dev] XShipWars

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Mon Mar 23 10:12:56 CET 1998

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 23:14:59 PST8PDT
Jon A Lambert<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 18 Mar 98 at 9:58, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> Worth looking at:
>>
>> http://dogstar.mit.edu/bajor3d/
>>
>> I could easily see a MUD being wrapped underneath.
>
> Looks really interesting.  I like this genre of game as I've played
> many solo varieties and board versions.

I just persuaded the chap running the mailing list to use petidomo vs
the glorified CC list they were using till then.  The main code is
written by a chap (woman?) by the name of Tuara (learfox at deltanet.com,
root at taura.ccinet.com).  I suspect that she's a 1st or 2nd year
undergrad.

That said, they've got some really neat ideas, an active and fairly
dedicated gang of people working on it, and have goon quite a long way
past the initial working proof-of-concept.

> It's also one of the first games I've encountered that is determined
> and dedicated to not allowing me play.

Ptui!  Alas they have a Win95 port underway with the first beta
released already.  <shudder>

> I feel abused and angry.  These feelings are quite strange to me.  I
> was almost tempted to go and do something rash like abuse a
> harddrive partition (again).  Luckily reason got the better of me.

Still championing those recidivist tendencies?

> <tongue firmly planted in cheek>

Or as I used to phrase:

  I spit frozen chunks...

(cf the liquifying of churned dairy products in oral cavities).

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com