[MUD-Dev] Balancing Addicts -> soft vs. hard enforcement

Joel Dillon emily at cornholio.new.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 23 14:50:14 CET 1998

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Adam Wiggins wrote:

> [Matt Chatterley:]
> > A far better response to making Shopkeepers into superheroes (just not
> > realistic) is simply to make it unworth the risk of belting them. You belt
> > the shopkeeper, polish off his guards, pick up the loot, stagger out the
> > shop... and stare right down the pointy ends of crossbows held by the
> > local guard captain and his posse.
>
> If you're looking for an easy catch-all solution, how about making shopkeepers
> have have 5 hitpoints, be worth 0 exp, have 0 gold and no items, and make the
> repop time on the town one minute.

  Easy but unfortunately not exactly realistic ;) The above suggestion
with the guards would be more fun, I think, albeit harder to implement
if you don't want the guard captain and posse just 'materialising' in
the shop (i.e. if you want real posse mobiles wandering the streets
at all times, which is most realistic'.

	Jo