[MUD-Dev] Describe Concept

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Tue Mar 24 18:59:18 CET 1998

Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> On 20 Mar 98 at 10:58, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:53:29 PST8PDT
> > Jon A Lambert<Jon.A.Lambert at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Should perception be based solely on the object being perceived?  I
> > > think a great deal of perception code/responsibilty(?) belongs to
> > > the perceiver.
> >
> > > Perhaps the perceiver sends a message to the object:
> >
> > > Me--> Sting.look("and BTW I'm a drunken, one-eyed, deaf, heroin
> > > addict, with a fetish for bright colors and ladies clothing")
> >
> > > Object--> Me.Sting("There are a few valuable and beautiful jewels
>               ^^^^^^^
>               Dunno what I was thinking here!  It makes little sense.
>
> > > here glued to a metal object.  You'll be partying tonight!")
> >
> > > Or not...
> >
> > That is almost exactly what I do for all senses:
> >
> >   viewer -> object:    May I sense you?
> >   object               Do I want him to sense me? Yes/no.
> >
> > Of course kick back if no.
> >
> >   object -> container: Would you affect a sense report from me to
> >                        viewer?
> >   container -> other objects in container: Would you affect a sense
> >                                            report from object to
> >                                            viewer?
> >   other objects -> container: yes/no/how
> >   container -> object: yes/no/how
> >
> > This is of course recursive for multiple levels of containment.  As I
> > also have multiple parallel forms of containment, this also recurses
> > down those lines.
>
> Yes the multiple-parallel aspect is interesting.  What about
> combining this with more abstract and temporary containment
> mechanisms.  For instance, using the Neighborhood as an assembly and
> brokering point for sensory information.  :)
>
> Viewer -> Neighborhood "May I "generally" sense this place"
> Neighborhood -> "Sure hang on" or "Get lost chump you're deaf, dumb
> and blind.  Go play pinball or something"
>
> If OK
>
> Neighborhood -> Buildings, Terrain, Crowd "Would you like to expose
> yourself to the viewer"
>
> Crowd -> membership "Hey anybody does this veiwer sense you"
>
> Member1 -> Crowd "I am just a nameless face"
> Member2 -> Crowd "ditto"
> Member3 -> Crowd "You bet HE does, I'm a long-legged, buxom red head"

[skipped]

And it comes together well with the concept of wrapped objects I was
talking about a few months ago - when the object's response to the
attempt to sense it will depend on the actor's properties, like:

white stone: gemstone: diamond: Diamond of Unsurpassed Wisdom: cursed so
noone can use it longer than X units of time

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>