[MUD-Dev] World Persistence, flat files v/s DB v/s ??

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Tue Mar 24 19:46:29 CET 1998

Chris Gray wrote:

> [Matt Chatterley:]
>
> :A valid notion. My mud is being set up so that rather than the (standard
> :for LPmuds as far as I know) system of rebooting once per period of time
> :(usually 24-48 hours), it will reboot at any time within a period of 6
> :hours when there are no user connections open to the server.
>
> Why do you need to reboot at all? If your system doesn't leak memory,
> and if it can save its DB to disk consistently while running, then there
> is no need. If it crashes, restart with the latest consistent copy of the
> DB. What I do is to flush the DB caches to disk periodically, and when
> that is done copy the resulting files to a backup directory. If this
> is done without allowing any other actual writes to the DB files (changes
> to the DB are OK, so long as no disk writes are done), then you get a
> consistent snapshot of the world.

And one more reason to have the DB engine run in a different process
space than the MUD engine - both become more stable.

BTW, about JVM garbage collection - this solution seems to be better
also, because Java gc chokes sometimes if even system has more then
enough physical, not talking about virtual, memory available - I've seen
javadoc dying on the Swing packages on the Linux box with 128M RAM -
there was no swap used when it died.

Just another reason.

--
Still alive and smile stays on,