[MUD-Dev] 3D engines for MUDs

Koster Koster
Wed Mar 25 09:51:34 CET 1998

[Niklas Emlqvist]:
>  I seem to recall reading something about 3D sprites in Game
Developer
>  where they apparently were using some kind of voxel approach to
model
> extremely good-looking three-dimensional characters. Not
polygon-based
> models, mind you, but extremely organic-looking and smooth
characters
> where even things such as belt buckles and facial features are
'real',
> i.e. not 'artificial' using texture-maps.

  Yeah, those were voxel-built characters, as I recall. In the
examples I have looked at, the amount of data required for one of
these characters was very high.

> Take a look at <URL:http://www.animatek.com/caviar.htm> to see
these
> amazing-looking characters. I believe there is a viewer available
for
> Windows 95/NT. Animatek also has an amazing 3D landscape
> generator/builder called World Builder. Too bad they're not doing
this
> under the GPL *cough*.

Caviar was, last I heard, under exclusive license to a game company.
Last time I went to check the web page you couldn't see demos. That
may have changed though. There are many websites where you can see
voxel terrain, and a couple where you can see voxel character
animation. None of them support LOD, and the "blockiness" problem when
zooming in, and the converse "fudge problem" when zooming out are very
apparent.

-Raph