[MUD-Dev] Re: Why mudules and some other questions.

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Mon Nov 2 18:41:41 CET 1998

Ben Greear wrote:

> If you are going to go with dynamic loading and all that fun stuff,
> has any thought gone to using Java?  It's built straight into the
> language...

Did I say I didn't ;-) It's just not everybody here is still convinced
that Java is the most suitable platform to implement the high-level
design and implementation, and leave the place for native
highly-optimized 10% of code which devour 90% of performance, so I
didn't push it.

Actually, would I have, I'd mention the
org.apache.java.lang.AdaptiveClassLoader as a good example of
transparent dynaloader (accessible indirectly from java.apache.org).

> Also, IMHO, text games are ramping down a long bell curve.  It seems new
> projects such as this DevMUD might want to consider designing in hooks
> that would allow new, possibly graphical clients, to connect.  In other
> words, no raw telnet here, just message passing from client to server to
> client...

+1

> Of course, someone would write a telnet server interface so us
> text people can keep on keeping on.

+1

--
Still alive and smile stays on,