[MUD-Dev] Re: [DESIGN] To kill or not to kill? (non-violent conflict)

The Wildman wildman at microserve.net
Sun Oct 4 15:24:25 CEST 1998

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Marian Griffith wrote:
> Actually, I wrote the Tailor scenario to highlight much the same
> point you seem to be trying to adress: How can a game accomodate
> the players who do not want to be fighters, without forcing them
> to become fighters? (the tailor in the scenario is not interest-
> ed in fighting, is obviously not good at it anyway, and the game
> should not force her to become a fighter just to be able to play
> the game).
> At least two of us (that is Dr.Cat and me) feel that perhaps the
> only solution lies in removing combat  as much as possible  from
> the game.

Well, the difference is that my game avoids the tailor problem. Combat would
be sort of like:

-----

You are on the beach.
Bob is here.

>kill bob
You slay Bob in cold blood. You suddenly notice that all the statues appear
to be watching you.

>east
Running away isn't going to help you. Several guards appear, grab your arms,
and drag you away.

>kill guards
Surprised by your aggression, the guards release your arms.

>east
You are on the beach near the mock sailboat.
A low rumble can be heard to the south.

>north
You are swimming in the water.
The low rumble seems to be getting closer.

>north
You are swimming in the water, further out to sea.
The low rumble seems to be coming from right behind you. You turn your head
and see a large sphere bouncing toward you.

>north
Too late! The sphere catches up with you and you are somehow drawn inside.
You are suffocating.

>out
You can't move.
You are suffocating.

>kill sphere
You can't move.
You are suffocating.

>yell help
You can't move.
You pass out from the lack of air.

You wake up feeling happy, and unconcerned. Your head hurts a bit.
>look
You are in your cabin.
Bob is here.

Bob says, "That wasn't very nice, but I suppose you won't do it again."
>look self
You have a small scar on your head. Although it hurts a bit, this doesn't
concern you.
You are wearing a hospital gown.
You are wearing a button with the number 13 on it.

>kill bob
You really don't want to.

----

Okay, so that was a bit MORE than mere combat. It also included the
consequences, such as a lobotomy. Also, Bob has been revived, making it all
for naught.

The Wildman
Fight spam - http://www.cauce.org/
DO NOT SPAM THIS ADDRESS