[MUD-Dev] Re: OT: TTYQuake

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Fri Oct 16 15:20:16 CEST 1998

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 11:19:47AM -0700, Adam Wiggins wrote:
> > http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/
> Actually I was a bit disappointed.  I was *really* hoping for:
>
> % n
> You enter a large chamber, similar to all the others.
> There is a space marine here.
> % switch to railgun
> You put away your rocket launcher, and pull out your railgun.
> The space marine fires a grenade from her grenade launcher.
> The grenade bounces around near your feet.
> % strafe left
> You glide left, keeping your gun trained forward.
> % fire railgun at marine
> You squeeze the trigger on your railgun and a blue spiral follows the
> projectile straight into the space marine's chest!
> The space marine is dead! R.I.P.
> You get your share of 1 kill(s).
> %
> A friend of mine actually did something like this for a little arcade game
> he wrote.  It was a Defender-style game, but you could hit various
> function keys to enter different "modes".  There was old movie mode, which
> turned the palette black and white, K-RAD D00DZ mode which surrounded the
> screen with weird demo effects, and of course internet mode, which
> switched to a text screen and let you "play" the game by typing commands
> like "pull up", "dive", "fire cannon", etc.  He even added little bursts
> of simulated lag.

Actually, there's something called FOOM on the IF-archive, ftp.gmd.de.

It's in /if-archive/games/tads, probably.

It's the first level of DOOM, done as a text adventure.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman