[MUD-Dev] Re: Bruce Sterling on Virtual Community goals

Wed Oct 21 08:03:34 CEST 1998

[Bruce Mitchener, Jr.:]

[Info on how the Cold core addresses many of our needs snipped.]

 >I have a number of topics relating to some of this that I want to bring up
 >on here in the future, but I really need to finish digging myself out from
 >underneath a big pile at work.

Please do, if you can. Input from someone that has been working at the
heart of these things for a while should be quite valuable.

The Cold language is Lisp-like, isn't it? (It's been a while since I
looked!) How hard would it be to add another style of language? How
efficient is the inner interpreter? Is it byte-code? Is it strongly
or weakly typed, or somewhere in the middle? Can strings be parsed and
compiled at run-time to produce new code?

I know, I should just go read the docs, but having some of the answers
here will likely help the stream of discussion in MUD-Dev be easier to
follow. And yes, I'm lazy!

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA