[MUD-Dev] Re: PDMud thread summary

Darrin Hyrup shades at mythicgames.com
Thu Oct 22 22:58:13 CEST 1998

At 02:23 PM 10/22/98 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:

>CVS has been proposed, has the strong advantage of being built on
>the well familiar RCS backbone, and has all the well known and hoary
>disadvantages that come from RCS for the same reason (read JWZ's
>diatribes on CVS use in Xemacs development).  Another possible
>choice is PRCS (http://www.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/~jmacd/prcs.html), which
>I also haven't used tho Xdelta
>(http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~jmacd/xdelta.html) certainly looks
>interesting and fixes many of the RCS concerns.

I've looked a bit at PRCS and Xdelta... they're rather interesting, but
there isn't a whole lot of support out there for it yet, and it seems to
still be under development.

>While I haven't worked with it yet (soon!), I'd be a lot more
>tempted to go with BitKeeper (http://www.bitmover.com/bitkeeper/).
>Outside of Larry McVoy's backing (clever cookie:
>http://www.bitmover.com/lm/), the probability of its being used for
>the Linux kernel etc, its coda-style distributed development
>supports are designed VERY well.

I hadn't heard of BitKeeper until your mention above.  I looked over what
was there, and it looks really encouraging.  It too is still in
development, but seems a better horse to back, IMO.

>Either way I have no problem with hosting a source repository on
>Kanga,Nu, as well as more special-purpose mailing lists etc for this
>effort.

Great!  I was going to suggest that had you not mentioned it. :)

Best,

Darrin