[MUD-Dev] Re: evil - good realism

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Thu Oct 22 22:58:22 CEST 1998

Vladimir Prelovac wrote:

> I've got this question. Suppose I make a perfect, realistic mud, and have
> dark and light races conflicting over the ages. Player can choose to play
> either one, and the final goal  of the game is that your race finnaly
> rules the land.  Ok, trouble:
>
> Most of the items in the game that evil folks wear and use are marked
> !GOOD (for those not familiar, it means that good aligned people cant wear
> or use that item).

What is a definition of "can't"? I'd rephrase that to: "get a penalty
when use/wear/you name it".

Remember the Wall Of Screams in Eye of Beholder II? You hit it, it hits
you back; but you have to break it in order to get through.

It becomes less obvious and thus more appealing to require, for example,
to use a Very Bad Thing to achieve a Very Good Goal. And the other way
around.

> And the other way around. For reality's sake, I would
> certainly prohibit good people killing good people, and evil killing evil,
> forcing the war between good and evil.

Was this a typo? What is a definition of "prohibit"? If I drop a brick
from the roof at the very moment the person of the same alignment is
passing by downstairs, is it "prohibited"?

> Ok, suppose I can say there will be !GOOD and !EVIL flags on things. But
> its not realistic that evil necron would use templar's great sword
> (although players would, because the sword is so great), or  elf wearing
> orc leather jerkin of power.

See above

--
Still alive and smile stays on,