[MUD-Dev] Re: PDMud thread summary

Jo Dillon emily at thelonious.new.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 23 17:54:13 CEST 1998

Steve Sparks (ssparks at enigma.sss.org) spake thusly:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 ApplePiMan at aol.com wrote:
>
> > >Database storage/persistence (relational or Object Oriented)
>
> My MUD design knowledge is pretty limited. I've at least played a few and
> worked on some adventure systems. I'm interested to know a couple of items
> to help clarify what might be planned. These might be much too complex to
> answer on this list, so if that is the case I'll ask them of others here
> locally and in person.
>
> What platform will be used for the Mud?
>
> 	Linux
> 	General UNIX running GNU?
> 	BSD

  My vote is for any Posix-compliant Unix (so that we can use things like
pthreads and suchlike).

> What kind of database is usually used?
>
> If you use a relational database does someone then create a series of
> stored procedure that can be called to help speed implementation. If you
> do then would they be something like the implied functionality of these:

  I'm not sure I like the idea of a relational database. They tend to
be inefficient in my limited experience, and also I think some sort of OO
database is going to make more sense for a mud.

--
	Jo

Harmony - the project to create an LGPL Qt clone
http://harmony.ruhr.de