[MUD-Dev] Re: PDMud, Gamora and Casbah

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Sat Oct 24 21:42:48 CEST 1998

On Sun, Oct 25, 1998 at 01:28:23AM +0200, Niklas Elmqvist wrote:
> This is the point where I believe (and hope) development may defragment,
> but this is not an all-or-nothing step. Some of the modules (like network
> I/O, traffic directors, etc) are likely to be usable in just about any
> internet game server, while others (magic modules, on-line building,
> room-based movement, etc) are specific to MUD types.

[...so therefore...]

> Perhaps we could introduce a "tech level" concept denoting how high or low
> a concept in the DevMUD project is located. That is, the driver would be
> at level zero, system modules (VM, module manager, garbage collector, etc)
> at one, game modules at two, etc. Just a thought.

Here's the historian of computing piping up again:

Have any of y'all ever looked at Edsger Dijkstra's THE project?  He
published a model of a hierarchical OS that is still an incredibly pretty
piece of design.  Well worth thinking about before we go designing systems.

I can dig up a reference in the next couple of days.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman