[MUD-Dev] Re: Recursive look

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sat Oct 24 21:42:54 CEST 1998

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Fri 23 Oct, Brandon J. Rickman wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Marian Griffith wrote:

> > In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Wed 21 Oct, Ling wrote:
> > > described on him will be low.  (recursive look algorithm would probably
> > > randomly pick objects weighted towards whatever the player is paying
> > > attention to and things that haven't been described yet - could code in a
> > > special case statement whereby male speakers will stare at breasts but
> > > that's probably too realistic)

> > Don't you dare implementing the last thing! It is very annoying in real
> > life and I could easily do without it in games, thank you very much!

> Aw, Marian, you're no fun.

I am, just not about sexist things. Must be my feminist side acting up.
I have the same reaction to movies  where women's armour consists of a
fur-rimmed swimsuit.

> Besides, muds already objectify players, at least the characteristics that
> are important to social interactions:

If this means what I think it means then that is fine. However you are
asking for a great deal of trouble  if you treat some group of players
as different from another group.

> Bubba is here, idling.
> Shoehorn is here, sleeping.

[more examples snipped]

Somehow I don't think this is in the same league as showing every male
character  who happens to look at a female character  something in the
line of  'You notice she has ... tits'.  (fill in the qualification of
your choice), or showing every female character who happens to be seen
by a male character '... is undressing you with his eyes.'  Not funny,
not necessary and all in all a very bad idea.

Marian (who will climb off her soapbox now)
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey