[MUD-Dev] Re: openmud or pdmud or devmud

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Mon Oct 26 21:20:44 CET 1998

On Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 05:47:38PM -0800, Bruce Mitchener, Jr. wrote:
> >While MMM is a terrific book, the very idea of the project we're proposing
> >is inherently a bazaar, and not a cathedral.  So take Brooks with a grain
> >of salt.
> I'd be interested in hearing which part of his writing you feel doesn't
> apply as strongly in this case.

That you *have* to take a hierarchical one-chief many-Indians approach.
ESR says it all a lot better than I could in "The Cathedral and the
Bazaar".  Brook's model also doesn't work very well for a
continuously-evolving product; for Brooks, when the cathedral is finished,
it's finished.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman