[MUD-Dev] Re: Missing the point: OpenMUD, Gamora, Casbah, etc.

Wed Oct 28 17:34:18 CET 1998

"Bruce Mitchener, Jr." wrote:

> on up to task-groups.  I'm trying to find a nice way to handle
> resource-accounting where as little of it is in the driver as possible, but
> is still extensible by the DB code.  Even with this, there are problems.  If
> quota-tracking (how many bytes of objects a user may have), then one could
> bloat up some objects and bring them into memory to trigger an out-of-memory
> condition.

I don't understand. How is the user to "bloat up some objects" if he has
crossed limitations or ran out of resources?  And why would this lead to an
out-of-memory condition (assuming you swap out things according to a LRU
scheme)?  If you know how much memory is available then I don't really see
how this could be a problem. If you don't, then you could preallocate a
chunk large enough to deal with exceptions whenever out-of-memory is thrown,
and clean up whenever it gets thrown.  No?

> Am I just missing something obvious?

I am probably the one who is missing something...

--
Ola