[MUD-Dev] Re: DevMUD: Inheritable modules

Wed Oct 28 19:42:52 CET 1998

[Jon Leonard:]

 >I don't want to do OO just for OO's sake.  I take the view that different
 >projects benefit from different programming techniques, and I don't see how
 >some of them help us here.

Nod. Big nod. (Ouch! That hurt.)

Essentially, I agree wholeheartedly with all of Jon's post on the things
we want to get out of any kind of OO design. The only minor nit is that
I'm not a big fan of the polymorphism stuff. That requires that you
look at 3 things (the call, the base function, and the overloading
function) instead of just 2 things, to find out what is happening.
Also, one can tend to forget that more parameters are possible, and
so do things the hard way.

Using Jon's definition of "Interface inheritance" for modules, I'm
happy with that, although some other possible definitions (haven't
really thought about what they could be!) wouldn't be as attractive to me.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation. - me

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA