[MUD-Dev] Re: Encryption of protocols, compression and lag...

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Wed Sep 2 11:51:50 CEST 1998

On Tue, Sep 01, 1998 at 07:22:13PM +0200, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> Well, Caliban, if you or somebody else on this list really have this
> problem, then I simply suggest that you send me a mail with pointers =
to your
> software and the crypto DLL.  I will then simply add the DLL to your =
zipfile
> and put it on a scandinavian ftp-site.  Import of encryption code isn=
't
> illegal is it? (On the hysterical side, any programming toolkit with =
> decent random generator is clearly an encryption library. And what ab=
out
> sound editors? Would you US guys really worry about adding noise to a
> signal??? Anyway, I believe PGP was exported as printouts and has bee=
> OCRed.)

Yeah.  Well, the nice thing about ITAR is that it's wonderfully selecti=
vely
enforceable; yes, a program linked against a C library with a decent PR=
NG
*could* buy you a federal prison term, if the feds decided to prosecute=

But if it's on paper, it's OK.  Yet another quirk.  Hence the big huge =
PGP
Internals book.

Anyway, this is getting less and less relevant to Mud-Dev.  The point b=
eing
the crypto DLL needs to be developed outside the US, in someplace with
friendly encryption laws.

> Is, however, encrypting the protocols A Good Idea (tm)?  I would thin=
k not,
> unless you compress the stream first.

That is, in fact, the usual technique.  What you probably want to do is=
compress the data stream first, then pad to blocksize (since this is
usually 8 or 16 characters, it's not a huge waste), then encrypt.

> Wouldn't encryption just increase
> bandwidth?

Yes, because the outgoing data stream will have near-total entropy and =
thus
be in effect uncompressible.

> would like to exploit that piece of hardware, or wouldn't you?

Can't.  Your data stream is going to be entropic, so you do software
compression first and let the modems cope.

Adam
--=20
adam at princeton.edu=20
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. =
Steinman